Pages

11 May 2012

Good eats

It's been a late week for us.  In his second week flying the T-38, Tyler has been coming home around 10-10:30pm.  Ugh.  And since my temp job planning the job fair ended last Friday, I've been trying to find things to do.  

On late weeks like this, the instructors made sure to point out that typically a student provides a meal (in which they all chip in and help pay for) so they don't have to bring lunch and supper every day.  Since I haven't cooked all week, when my hubby asked if I'd be willing to make lasagna for the menfolk last night (and since I am in no position to say no to things to do), I readily agreed.  And apparently my lasagna, garlic bread and chocolate chip cookies were a smashing success. 

I resisted the urge to make it "fancy" by adding ricotta, spinach and Italian sausage as I've done before and instead sauteed an onion and browned 1 lb of ground turkey and 1.5 lbs of ground beef.  I also added a little bit of beef bouillon when I thought it needed a little more flavor.  My "secret" to not only saving money but also for fresh, delicious, melted cheese is to buy a pound block of whole milk mozzarella and shred it to add to the layers.  (of course for two pans I needed two blocks of cheese:) and I used my KitchenAid attachment for the shredding.  With the noodles, meat, bread, cheese and sauce I spent $17. And Tyler thought he saw at least $35-40 in the jar at the end of the night.
  
You're probably not so curious about what I've been eating all week (starts and ends with rice and popcorn), but I will tell you since my family was here and my mom made a salad with spinach, feta, walnuts, craisins and poppyseed dressing and balsamic vinaigrette, we haven't been able to stop eating it.  So I've made that once or twice for myself this week and just so happened to snap a picture before diving in.  
Delicious, right?  

We're going to the downtown Cajun Festival tomorrow, where I will have eaten beforehand so I don't feel the slight bit tempted by the crawfish or gumbo.  And yes, I am excited that the Bachelorette is starting on Monday (yayyy!) Thanks for asking.  Have a great weekend!

No comments: