Pages

18 July 2012

burgers + couscous

It was my birthday yesterday, and while I wasn't so opposed to posting yesterday, I simply ran right out of time in the day.  I enjoyed so many great phone calls, text messages and facebook posts from friends and family wishing me a good day.  My husband took me out to a delicious breakfast and I made sushi with some good friends for dinner.  Thanks for a great day, everyone!

Back to cooking. 

Spiced Mini Burgers with Couscous Salad
Adapted from Real Simple: easy, delicious meals



Ingredients
1 1/2 C couscous (I used whole wheat from Trader Joe's)
1 pound ground beef (I used turkey and it was perfectly non-greasy)
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 tablespoon oregano
kosher salt and black pepper
6 scallions, sliced
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 C crumbled feta cheese (optional but recommended)

Directions
-Place the couscous in a large bowl and pour 1 1/2 C water hot tap water over the top.  Cover and let stand for 5 minutes, fluff with a fork
-Form the meat into small patties and sprinkle with the seasonings and 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper
-Use Cuisinart griddler to cook patties (or cook in skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon or two of olive oil) until cooked through, 5 min per side
-Chop vegetables and toss with couscous, lemon juice (adding more if needed), pinch or two of salt, and feta cheese
-Serve with burgers and enjoy!

No comments: