Pages

10 February 2013

veggie pizza: recipe

I guess it's about time I shared a new favorite recipe of mine. Since Tyler has be gone since the beginning of November (with the exception of a few days at the beginning of December), I have been fending for myself in the kitchen (which was usually the case, but now it's just up to me to eat whatever I've cooked). I've found a few recipes that I've made more than once, and this pizza is one of those. I've probably made this once a week since I found it sometime in Nov. It's delicious.  Foodbabe.com is where I got the recipe from, so go ahead and check out her version but I've changed it a little and I love it! I even had the ingredients for this when we came home from Christmas in Colorado and had one night before going to Mississippi and Tyler really liked it.

(Please excuse the crappy iphone photos...)


Start with the fresh veggies you'd like to use. This time I made it with red onion (just a handful), sauteed mushrooms (it's important to saute these before you put them on the pizza to get all the water out) Green peppers are always delicious-you'll probably just use a 1/2 for one pizza. I also just use regular chopped tomatoes (the Pomi brand, which doesn't come in a can and therefore has no BPA, wahoo!) there is no salt added so I usually like to sprinkle on a little salt before I put the toppings on. 


Put the Food for Life sprouted tortilla (found in the freezer section!) in a 450 degree oven for 3:30 minutes, just long enough to dry it out. Next, add your toppings! Tomatoes, salt, minced garlic, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and finally the broccoli. 



Wow, that's blurry. But you get the idea. This is fresh WHOLE MILK mozzarella (trust me, the skim version is totally not worth it and they add junk when they take away the fat so you're better off with the whole milk version anyways). Try not to cut the slices too thick.


Bake for 10 minutes, and voila!

My favorite things about this pizza:
*I don't have to make the crust
*Since I've gotten the hang of making it, I can be eating this within 30 minutes start to finish
**The vegetables don't get too cooked or soggy, since you're just baking it long enough to melt the cheese (crunchy pizza? yum!)
*Customizable based on what I have on hand/what I'm in the mood for

Ready for the recipe?

Ingredients
1 Food for Life tortilla
4 tablespoons tomato/marinara/pizza sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
4-5 medium sized portabella mushrooms, sliced and sauteed
1/4 chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1-1/2 cup broccoli florets, cut small
sliced fresh mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
dry out tortilla by placing it in oven for 3:30 minutes
wash/chop all ingredients
add 4 tablespoons of tomato sauce to tortilla
lightly salt (two pinches) tomato sauce. Mince garlic and spread out on pizza
add ingredients, being careful not to add too many, thus weighing the tortilla down. finish with broccoli.
cover pizza with sliced mozzarella
bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
let sit for a minute or two before cutting with pizza slicer. enjoy!

In other news, while I've been writing this post I had my iphone hooked up the computer and installing a new update. It told me I needed to "restore" to original settings (huh??) so I clicked continue. Now my phone is empty. Blank. No record I've even owned it for the last year and a half. It's weird. But feels sort of refreshing and not as panicky as I thought. Maybe this is a good start to my spring cleaning day...?

I hope you try this pizza, let me know how you like it!

No comments: