Pages

04 November 2013

apron files: grits & greens

Some of you may wonder if I still cook, since it has been a lifetime since I've shared a recipe. And yes, the answer is that I still have been cooking. Sadly, my meal selections have become more creative and less varied, as I try to make my dry goods disappear in our bellies instead of the trash can before the big move. And no, 3 months is not too early to start clearing your cupboards/freezer. Trust me.

I sadly let my Real Simple subscription go unrenewed, but this was a wise choice as many things in the magazine may be irrelevant after we move to Korea. I still enjoy cooking many of their deliciously basic recipes, and will keep some in my repertoire for a long time.

And so, I bring you...

Sauteed Andouille and Greens with Grits (Real Simple)

Ingredients
1 large bunch collard greens, thick stems removed and leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup milk
3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
1 cup extra-sharp white cheddar, grated
1 tablespoon butter
16 oz sausage (andouille preferred but I've made it with many kinds and all are great)
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
salt and pepper

Instructions
-bring a large saucepan of water to a boil; add a little salt. Add the collard greens and cook until just tender, 6-8 min. drain well.
-wipe out the saucepan. add the milk, 2 cups of water and a little salt and bring to a boil. whisk in the grits and simmer over low heat, whisking frequently, until soft and creamy, 5-6 min. remove from heat and stir in the butter and cheddar.
-meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until brown. with a slotted spoon, transfer it to a plate.
-add the shallots and bell pepper to the drippings in the skillet, season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until beginning to soften, 3-4 min. add the greens and cook, tossing, until heated through, 1-2 min. fold in the sausage.

I have definitely made this dish more than once, but apparently thought these terrible pictures were good enough to never document again. Sigh. This is a very, very simple meal to make (I'm sure even my little sister could manage this!) and it's even fun when you cut/prepare everything before you actually start cooking. The sausage can easily be altered, the amount of cheese changed (I already cut it down 1/2 cup from the original), and shrimp even added for a fun twist! Good luck and let me know if you try it!

No comments: